To the People of Mexico:
To the Peoples and Governments of the World:
To the National and International Press:
In response to what Senor Fox stated yesterday, the EZLN says the following:
1. - The forces in the Congress of the Union which are refusing to engage in dialogue with the zapatistas are clearly identifiable, by first and last name. The majority of them belong to the National Action Party, a political body to which Senor Fox belongs, and also to the Institutional Revolutionary Party. It is these forces, and not the entire Congress of the Union, which have thwarted the dialogue which would have been the definitive door to peace. It is not right for those who are scandalized by our ski-masks to hide their warlike desires behind all the Deputies and Senators. To use their own words, "they are usurping representativeness."
2. - The Federal Army maintains its positions in Guadalupe Tepeyac, Rio Euseba and La Garrucha. The statement that there is proceeding "to be issued a decree to transform" these military facilities into "centers for the development of the indigenous communities" can be taken only on good faith as a statement that the withdrawal will take place, but it is nothing more, up to this point, than a statement. Additionally, the Federal Army is occupying lands in those places, as in many others, which are the property of the indigenous communities, not of the government. The government cannot, therefore, have lands at its disposal which do not belong to it, unless it is attempting to repeat the behavior of the global employee Ernesto Zedillo, usurping them by decrees of expropriation and presenting a dislocation as a sign of peace.
3.- The zapatista prisoners are still imprisoned in the jails of Chiapas, Tabasco and Quere'taro. The list with their names is public knowledge.
4. - The zapatista delegation has not received any letter from Senor Fox.
5. - The three signals necessary for the resumption of dialogue have not been fulfilled. There are only, as before, statements and promises. Nothing has changed.
That is all.
>From the "Mirror of Water" Aguascalientes,
University City, UNAM.
Clandestine Revolutionary Indigenous Committee
- General Command of the Zapatista Army of National Liberation.
Mexico, March of 2001.
P.S. - To those who are threatening us with jail and death, we say: we are already prisoners, that is why we rose up for liberty. We are already dead, that is why we are fighting for life.
Originally published in Spanish by the EZLN ______________________ Translated by irlandesa