TO THE NATIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL PRESS
TO THE LOCAL PRESS
TO THE NEWS MEDIA
TO PUBLIC OPINION IN GENERAL
The following is a report by the Assembly of Communal Goods of Nicolas Ruiz, Chiapas, on the conflict generated and fostered by leaders of the Campesino's National Central (Central Nacional Campesina, or CNC):
1. Starting four weeks ago, the FIDELIC company established infrastructure in our community, consisting of, among other things, grates, tarps and bags, in order to set up a corn-buying shed. The company arrived in the community at the invitation of a reduced group of people active in the official party, characterized by carrying out actions contrary to, or at the margins of, the decisions of the Communal Assembly.
2. On various occasions, we have let Engineer Enrique Culebro Siles, State Delegate of FIDELIC, know that in our community there is a decision-making structure in place, whose highest authority resides in the Assembly, and it is only by consensus of this assembly do we take action on any given issue. In this case, we have let him know that the Assembly has not discussed or made a decision on the establishment of a warehouse by the company he represents. Thus, setting up a shed to buy corn in the community is irresponsible and shows a lack of respect for our authorities, since there has been no agreement on the matter. Moreover, setting up at the invitation of a group of sympathizers of the official party constitutes a provocation of the great majority of the population, which is not affiliated with that party.
3. Upon responding to our communications, the above-mentioned company has shown it understands our reasons for objecting, and via a memo dated January 7 of this year, it said that "instructions had been sent in regards" to withdrawing the shed project.
4. However, although two weeks have now gone by since the above-mentioned memo, the shed is still standing in the community, and the sympathizers of the official party boast that it will not be withdrawn, because their leaders in the CNC have already made arrangements to keep it there.
5. Thus, we are now letting public opinion and the State government know that a matter as simple as the installation of a corn-buying warehouse in the community can be utilized by the sympathizers of the official party, who, feeling the support and protection of government officials and their party, are provoking the members of the Assembly of Communal Goods.
This Assembly of Communal Goods of Nicolas Ruiz, holds responsible Mr. Alejandro Cruz Gutierrez, state leader in the CNC, and Mr. Moises Cruz Ventura, Coordinator of the Alliance for the Countryside Program, of the CNC, for the consequences that could occur due to their intervention, stimulatating a group of sympathizers of the official party to confront the members of the Assembly of Communal Goods.
We demand that the State governmental authorities intervene in an opportune manner with FIDELIC, such that this company move immediately on the withdrawal of its corn-buying shed, and thereby remove the pretext by which PRI militants are provoking the communal members.
AUTHORITIES OF THE ASSEMBLY OF COMMON GOODS OF NICOLAS RUIZ
********************** Sent by Enlace Civil Enlacecivilemail@example.com http://www.laneta.apc.org/mailman/listinfo/enlacecivil-l Translation by: Leslie Lopez for NAP *****************************